Thursday, September 12, 2013

Things I've Hated This Month: August

I'm sorry. We're already 1/3 into September, and I'm posting something that dates back to August. I know, I'm terrible. But honestly, I only decided that I disliked one of these products in the last week. I realized I wasn't using it at all, tried it once more this week, then decided that it needs to get returned to Sephora this week when I go home to celebrate my mom's birthday.

Thus begins the things I've hated this month!


This is the Shiseido Lacquer Rouge in RD305 (Nymph). This literally sat in my "loves" on sephora.com for weeks and weeks. I read reviews on it, I loved it, I was convinced that when I actually bought it that it would become a holy grail product for me.

Then I did buy it, and I just simply didn't fall in love at all.


I think part of it had to do with me already owning a couple of lipsticks that are really similar in color to this one (MAC Plumful and MAC Craving). And I didn't anticipate that it wouldn't dry down to a matte finish. Instead, it stays glossy. I'm not a huge fan of glosses in general, so the gloss-like aspects of this lip lacquer just didn't do it for me. And there's just no way that I'm going to keep a product that doesn't wow me when I spent $25 on it. So, I returned it a couple of weeks after I bought it. Of course, I ended up buying REN's Get Radiant, Glowing Skin in Just 10 Minutes! Kit when I returned this lip lacquer.


Then there's this Clinique Lash Building Primer. I initially bought it hoping that the white color of it would make colored mascara pop. I ended up returning the colored mascara that I had bought to use with this, but I figured that I can always use a mascara primer.

Then this week, I really got to thinking about this primer. I took it out of my mascara/eyeliner drawer for the first time in weeks.


This time around, it struck me how much product gets stuck to the brush. And after using it, when you're putting the applicator back into the tube, that excess product doesn't just go back in. Instead it clumps up around the base of the tube, and it just sort of looks gross. But I decided that if I used this primer and it make a difference with the volume/length of my eyelashes, then I would keep this primer.


Forgive the bad lighting in the second photo, I was stupid and in a hurry to get to work, so I took the photo in my bathroom. 

But you can tell, that there isn't much of a difference between my eyelashes in these photos. The top photo is without primer, the bottom photo is with the primer. I used the same mascara both days. This product just isn't worth the $15 I spent on it. I'm going to return it this weekend and buy something that I'll (hopefully) love, instead.

And one more thing about this primer: it made using certain mascaras difficult. I found that if the mascara had a traditional mascara brush (LORAC's Pro Mascara, Benefit's BadGal Lash, etc.), this primer worked fine. But if you tried using a synthetic, plastic brush with it, it was next to impossible. I just could not use my Benefit They're Real! after using this primer. It was rough going.

Moral of the story: sometimes you buy products. And sometimes they just don't blow your mind. Then they sit in the back of a drawer somewhere, but you should return them. And buy more makeup! 

No comments:

Post a Comment