Friday, September 20, 2013

Review: REN Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask

If there is a product that I struggle with, it is definitely this one. It's so well-loved by anyone and everyone who tries it that I was convinced that I would love it. I tried a sample, and just didn't understand it, in part because of Sephora's directions on how to use this product. But we'll get to that in a minute.


This REN mask is encased in their familiar packaging: a bag inside a bottle, so your product stays bacteria-free and so you use up as much of it as possible.


One of my favorite parts of REN's mask packaging is this cap--it keeps your mask from drying out.


The goop itself is orange. It's very citrus-y, but not in an unnatural way. The scent comes from the ingredients, not from some added fragrance (think the difference between smelling Bath and Body Works pumpkin soap versus smelling pumpkin puree). It's not a uniform consistency, so it feels very much like putting a high-end jelly on your face.

Now, let's cover the discrepancies among the directions for using this, because if there's one thing that drives me crazy, it's that I don't have nailed down directions on using it.

The Sephora website page reads: "Apply a generous amount to clean skin. Leave for 10 minutes. Pat and 'lift' with fingertips to raise up exfoliated layer of dead skin cells. Rinse thoroughly with warm water," (Sephora page for Glycol Lactic Mask).

So the first time that I used this mask, I followed those directions exactly, because that's what the nice Sephora consultant told me to do and I have a problem disobeying authority figures. It did sound silly to me to pat at a gooey mask, but like I said, I utterly fail at disobeying given instructions. I absolutely hated this mask. It felt fine on my face, but the removal process felt so bizarre and I didn't feel like it was doing anything and it took forever to lift enough of this stuff off of my face that it seemed effective.

I went all ranting and raving to my sister. We were both so confused about why I hated it so much, given that it's one of the most loved masks out there, among Sephora-goers and beauty bloggers alike.

Then fate stepped in. I became obsessed with REN's website (RenSkincare.com). It's adorably designed, I love the idea that they'll send you samples of your choosing (and because I love REN it gives me the chance to try out new products I'll probably like as opposed to picking out samples from Sephora, where I can choose between six shades of foundation and six fragrance samples I'll never use). REN also gives you 10% off your first order and 10% off your favorite product for life.

So I was perusing the REN website, and decided to take a look at the REN page for the Glycol Lactic mask (REN page for Glycol Lactic Mask). The directions are different. Yeah, you read and understood that correctly. Sephora and REN give different directions for using this mask. REN's directions read: "Apply a generous amount to clean skin over the face and neck, avoiding the eye area. Leave for 10 minutes. Dampen enclosed cloth and gently wipe off mask. Rinse with warm water."

WHAT SORT OF COMPANIES ARE THESE, GIVING ME CONTRADICTORY DIRECTIONS. Obviously, this whole experience turned me into a troll and made me really freaking mad.

I went to Sephora and got a second sample of this mask, because darnit, I was going to love it even if it was the last thing I did. I followed REN's directions this time, and was significantly more pleased.


I even looked more pleased in this picture. Or I look like someone who really needs to get some sleep but instead finds herself doing masks after midnight when she has class in the morning.

Moral of the story: don't trust websites. Don't trust Sephora (which is something I never thought that I would say). Read directions for products both on Sephora's website, and on the website of the maker (in this case, REN). Read beauty blogger reviews of the product. Do all of the research that you can, or ask me to do it (this experience has made me a pro in spending hours looking into a single product).

All of that being said, this still doesn't feel like a holy grail product for me. I need to use it with more frequency, and then hopefully I'll come to a final conclusion on the matter. It's also really expensive. It's $55 for 1.7 oz of mask. The crux of the issue comes in that this is a really unique mask. It's the only mask I've seen at Sephora that is citrusy and uses glycolic acid. I'm going to have to do a few more thorough searches on Sephora's website, then I may find some cheaper alternatives that do similar things.

Ultimately, I don't know that I'll be repurchasing this. The direction-discrepancy definitely tainted my opinion, then there was all of the hype surrounding it. But I know for sure that I won't be returning it.

No comments:

Post a Comment