Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Makeup I'm Done With #1

Sometimes I buy, inherit, or happen across makeup that I think I'll like or use, then it ends up sitting in my makeup drawers gathering dust for weeks, months, or even years. I don't want to throw these products away, so I don't. But eventually I need to make room for more desirable makeup, so I've decided to dispose of some products.


Most of these products have at least been used once, some of them have been fairly well-loved. But it's time to move on.


This little Stila tinted moisturizer sample was given to me by my sister, the first time I tried it I realized that it's not the right color for me (why I ever thought a product that is called "medium" would work for me, I don't know). The L'Oreal Paris BB Cream was my mom's originally, she gave it to me because she didn't love it. I liked it alright, until I tried other BB creams. This BB is too greasy for me (I have an oily nose, but this product makes my whole face look like I rubbed butter on it). And the color is just a little too dead-looking for my skin tone. I'm olive-y (side-note: in my opinion, telling someone they have an olive skin tone is just politely telling them they're green, but I actually DO have a green skin tone, so I'm never insulted, they should just tell it like it is and say I'm green), and this BB cream is clearly made for someone with a cooler undertone.


The Be a Bombshell Gloss in Hot Mess is the only product I haven't ever used. I'm not a gloss fan, and I got it in a subscription box, so I don't feel bad that it's gone unused. These two Julep lipstick colors (Tea for Two and Satin Doll) also came from a subscription box, and while I like them well enough, they're both sheer enough that they're just not worth keeping around. If I want to look like I'm not wearing lip color, I'll wear chapstick. Finally, the Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer in Caramel is a product I probably bought (I don't remember it anymore), but at this point, I have a million lipsticks and lacquers I'd rather wear. And I don't like a lot of shimmer in my lip colors.


All three of the pressed eyeshadows that I'm getting rid of are from Victoria's Secret. The two on the left are Beauty Rush Shadow Duos in Smoke & Mirrors and 24K Gold. I bought them for traveling for Mock Trial, but now that I have palettes in all shapes and sizes, I don't need these. And they're VERY poorly pigmented. 24K Gold was at lease useable, Smoke & Mirrors was flat out impossible. The shadow on the right is Very Sexy in Sizzle. I bought it at least four years ago, I've broken the closure so it opens when I don't want it to, and I have this color (or very similar) in palettes.


These two pencils are Sephora eyeliners in Coffee and Midnight Black. I used to think that Sephora eyeliners were pretty decent. Every eyeliner I used smudged, and I thought that was just par for the course. Then I started using more legitimate eyeliners like Urban Decay 24/7 or Stila Stay All Day Liquid Liners.


Let me just say that I am NOT a fan of loose pigment powders. All three of the ones I'm getting rid of I received in various subscription boxes. I was going to open them and take pictures of them, then this one started getting absolutely everywhere. I refused to finish opening it. The colors are all very standard and boring, two skin tone colors, one light pink. They're just not worth the mess they make.

My makeup drawers feel lighter, not significantly so, but enough that I can actually fit my new makeup in them, so hurrah! I've succeeded at throwing out old/sad/bad makeup.

No comments:

Post a Comment