Thursday, August 15, 2013

Sephora Haul #1

Every once in a while, I do something that I really shouldn't do, and I spend an insane amount of money at Sephora. Usually it has something to do with rewarding myself. That's true of this week's Sephora purchases. I've been holed up with 40 other Resident Assistants and our bosses for approximately the last week, doing training and staff bonding and such. Today, we moved some 500+ freshmen into their dorms, a HUGE accomplishment. I personally helped about 50; there were a lot of boxes, a lot of microwaves, and a lot of my personal sweat. But I survived, and to reward myself, I bought a bunch of stuff online at Sephora a couple of days ago knowing that they would arrive today. So after finishing up with the freshmen, I headed over to the mailroom and picked up my swag!

All the boxes.
Because I'm a VIB Rouge, I get free shipping on any order from Sephora.com, so I broke up my purchases so that I could get the maximum number of free samples possible.


I basically bought everything that had been on my "Loves" page-everything from masks to lip lacquer and eyeliner to eyebrow mousse.


I've had the old versions of the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencils on my wish list for so long, it's not even funny. I think spending $19 on a colored eyeliner that you'll only wear once in a blue moon is silly, but dock those suckers down to $6 each, and I'm all over that. Since I already own a teal Kat Von D eyeliner (Waterproof Autograph Pencil in Eyegasm) and a liquid Stila mint eyeliner (Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner in Turquoise), I figured it was time to purchase some purples. I bought Crash, Lust, and 1999.


I think that 1999 is going to turn out to be the most wearable (in fact, I'm wearing it as I type this), and Lust will probably be the one I use the least. But they're all beautiful, and I love increasing my makeup collection.

Crash, Lust, and 1999 on my hand. 
Directly after doing this swatch, I washed my hands, then took a bath, then a nap. And there's still a faint smudge of 1999 hanging out on my hand. They really do mean 24/7 when they say it with these eyeliners.


Then I picked out the Too Faced Ready.Set.Prime duo. I'm a faithful user of the LORAC Behind the Scenes primer, it's one of the best and cheapest eyeshadow primers at Sephora, but I just can't turn down a great deal. These primers are .17 oz each, combined they're .34 oz. It's a $12 set. For comparison, the Too Faced Shadow Insurance retails $20 for .35 oz of product. Needless to say, this was a phenomenal deal. And who knows, maybe I'll love them.


I've been researching brow fillers for quite a while. If you've looked at any of my posts where I've included a picture of myself, you know that I don't have thin or sparsely populated eyebrows. I'm half Greek, so I've always had eyebrows that, to a certain extent, had a life of their own. I think my mom sat me down when I was probably twelve and taught me to tweeze them. And thankfully I avoided that middle/high school issue of overplucking eyebrows. Instead, mine have always been full and I love them that way. They're pretty low maintenance these days, but I've been looking for a way to make them look just a little bit more "solid," I guess. It's a hard thing to describe, but I've been wanting them to make a little bit more of a statement and make me look a tad more put together.

Then I found the Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof Brow Mousse in Rich Brown. At first I was a little worried, I have BLACK eyebrows, and I was worried that this would make them look awkward and mismatched. But it's such a dark brown that it blends right in with my black brows. And it's such a great product. It doesn't look harsh like a pencil filler and it doesn't look chalky like a powder. I love it so much I may have to do a separate review of it.


Oh, Ren, how did I live this much of my life without discovering the beauty that is your products and packaging? I recently bought the ClearCalm 3 Clarifying Clay Cleanser and I fell absolutely head over heels in love. It's important to note that I don't even have acne anymore, I did in high school, but I've long since gotten over it (save the occasional stress pimple and the blackheads that refuse to leave the pores of my nose). But I can't get enough of this line of products. I got a sample of this mask from Sephora a couple of weeks ago, and I can honestly say that it's the only mask that I've tried that leaves a NOTICEABLE difference in my skin. The night I tried this mask, I had a stress-related pimple on my forehead. It was red. It was angry. When I washed this mask off, I honestly thought magic had happened. The pimple was significantly smaller. It wasn't red at all. Basically, this is about to become my holy grail of spot treatment masks.


I also decided to try this Shiseido Lacquer Rouge in RD305, or Nymph. I've fallen in love with lip lacquers, and I can't wait to see if this one lives up to my expectations.


It's a beautiful blue-rose color, although it's sort of difficult to see because my camera only wanted to focus on the books in the background. In case you can't tell, I (a) love to read, and (b) I'm a history major (although I'm also a religious studies major).


The Lacquer rouge on a human hand. I'm so excited about this product that I actually almost put it on before my bath/nap. Review to come.


The last product that I actually spent money on: Boscia Clarifying Detox Mask. I got a sample of this from Sephora a couple of weeks ago, and initially when I applied this mask, I didn't think I was going to like it. But I loved the tingling as it dried, it make my skin feel minty fresh. Also, considering that I spent $45 on the Ren mask above, I was thrilled by the $25 price tag on this one.


Sample time! I got four samples of different foundation primers. I'm only 20 and don't struggle with keeping my makeup on my face, so I can't justify spending money on foundation primers just yet, but if offered a sample, I will always accept.


Another thing I love in sample form: shampoo and conditioner. This stuff will definitely come in handy when I travel.


I'm about to run out of my favorite foundation (well, to be honest, it's a BB cream), Garnier Skin Renew BB Cream Combination to Oily Skin in light/medium. I'm worried that once I lose my slight tan from the summer, it'll be just a tiny bit to dark/orangey for me. And I've sort of developed a crush on the Urban Decay Naked Skin liquid foundation. It comes with four different samples in a range of shades, I'll probably fall somewhere in between the included 2.0 and 3.5, but it'll give me an idea on whether I like this foundation enough to spend $39 on it.


The final set of samples that I picked were the Philosophy Full of Promise Treatment Duo, mostly because it was the only remaining sample that I was even remotely interested in trying. I got four samples, each with .14 oz of product, so in total, I have .56 oz of product (.28 of each: the day cream and the night cream). The full size version of this product retails for $75 and you get 1.0 oz of product. If you do that math, that means these samples are worth $42. I love it when samples turn out to be worth that much.


Finally, the random samples. I'm not really sure how I ended up with these, we'll see if I ever use them.

Overall, I love Sephora. An inappropriate amount. I really wish I was in my dorm room playing with all of my new makeup.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Don't judge me! Your last post was about how you spent $27 on nail polish!! P.S., I'm excited to see you/your makeup when I drive through Cookeville tomorrow!

      Delete