Tuesday, August 6, 2013

This Nail Polish will be the DEATH of Me.

I'm a Julep Maven. For those of you that don't know about the Julep Maven program, basically I pay $20 a month and receive either two nail polishes and one bath/body product or three nail polishes. It's a subscription, and you're able to skip months. I've skipped the last two because the colors didn't really stand out to me, but a few months ago, when I was regularly getting these boxes, something awful happened.


This color entered my life. It looks innocuous enough, right? It certainly doesn't look like it will wreak havoc, but wreak havoc it did.


Payton is this gorgeous grass green. It was so bright and summery, I couldn't resist using it immediately. And so I did.

Forgive the chips. By the time I took a photo of this
color, it had been at least 2-3 days.
It applied great, like nearly all Julep nail polishes. As a rule, they tend to apply evenly, reaching near-opacity with just one coat. I'm not the sort of person to skip a second coat, but sometimes I can with a Julep polish--they're that good. Additionally, I've found that they defy chips in a way that Essie just doesn't.

Then I took this nail polish off. AND MY NAILS WERE YELLOW. Like, awful yellow.

And it isn't like I skipped a base coat. I take my base/top coats very seriously. I spend the money on Essie base coats, and recently I've gotten into Butter London's Flawless Base Coat.

Now, I can understand when a deep red/plum turns my nails a little yellow. There's just something about reds that do it, and I accept them for what they are. But a green? I've never in my life had a green turn my nails yellow.

This happened to me just about two months ago, and my nails still haven't outgrown this nightmare. When it first happened, pictures didn't do the color justice. Because the entirety of my nails were yellow, there was no normal nail to contrast it with.


But now, you can see what Julep Payton did to my nails. They are the colors of the sunset at this point. It's frightenly unattractive. Thus, ever since the nail massacre of June 2013, my nails have been painted 100% of the time, with no sign of the end near.

While I would wholeheartedly recommend an array of Julep polishes, this one is not one of them. If I'm ever brave enough to use it again, it'll definitely be just as an accent on top of a color I've already painted (ex: the leaves on a flower). If you find yourself tempted to purchase this color, don't do it. Take the sunsets on my nails as a cautionary tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment